Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Funeral Net


Yesterday, March 23, the KR received two new books. One of them was called The Everything Guide to Online Genealogy by Kimberly Powell. This book is fascinating because it discusses every aspect of genealogy such as how to get started, who to interview, where to look such as libraries and of course what websites to look at and what they offer. One section of the book discusses searching records at funeral homes. Although many funeral homes are privately owned, they may be willing to work with you on finding the information you need in your search such as death and burial dates and maybe a birth date. If the death your searching for is more recent and the funeral home has not changed hands much then the funeral director or employees may remember your family. I know this from personal experience because one funeral home in Valley Station, Hardy's has always been owned by the Hardy family and they know my family very well. I have always found it comforting to be there for those occasions because I know I will be well taken care of. If I had a question about my family I know that one of the Hardys would be able to answer it. (Photo by George*50 posted on Flickr.)


One site that caught my attention was http://www.funeralnet.com/ This is a great information center because you can do many types of searches, which include searches for cemeteries, obituaries, funeral homes and ancestry. When I searched for cemeteries, it only gave me 5 listings in Owensboro because these have offices or a contact number. The Info Center has great search tools. You can look for veterans' information, grief sources and careers in the funeral industry.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great cemetery photograph. Can you tell me anything about it,please?
    Thank you
    Best wishes
    Laurie (England)

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger