Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What do you do?

I was reading the blog of Kimical Smile, and this gave me a great idea. What do you do in your daily job? I know on our wiki we have the page called "The Buck Stops Here" and it gives in few details who is responsible for what. But that doesn't really explain what it is we do. Most of you who know me understand that I work in the Kentucky Room. What does that really mean? What is the Kentucky Room and where is it? Well, the KR is on the first floor of the DCPL near the end where the reading garden is. This room houses our local history collection as well as genealogy materials, county histories and records, Owensboro newspapers on microfilm going back 150 years, the U.S. Federal census, Kentucky Death Certificates 1911-1957 and so much more.

My job is to help patrons trace their genealogy, answer questions about local or Kentucky history, answer queries via phone and email and do the best job I possibly can. I also am a public notary, which means that I witness and verify signatures on documents. I also weed the collection, am a member of the 20/20 Book Club committee, and I plan the adult programs. My latest projects have been researching for scrips for Voices of Elmwood and being a member of the planning committee, which helps with the library's strategic planning.

Being in the KR is a real pleasure because I get to meet a variety of people and learn about their families. I also learn interesting things when researching local history from the newspaper or any of the county history books. (And I have the best view looking out of my window!)If you have a chance to visit the Kentucky Room, please stop by and I will be glad to show you around!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger